In a major breakthrough on repatriation of displaced Bru persons from Mizoram since 1997, an agreement has been signed by Government of India, Governments of Mizoram and Tripura and Mizoram Bru Displaced People’s Forum (MBDPF) on July 3, in presence of Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh Chief Minister of Mizoram Shri Lalthanhawla, and Chief Minister of Tripura Shri Biplab Kumar Deb, said the Ministry of Home Affairs in a press release.
5,407 families comprising of 32,876 persons presently in temporary camps in Tripura will repatriate to Mizoram before 30th Sept., 2018. The agreement was signed by Smt. Rina Mitra, Special Secretary (Internal Security), MHA, Shri Sanjeev Ranjan, Chief Secretary, Govt. of Tripura, Shri Lalnunmawia Chuaungo, Principal Secretary, Govt. of Mizoram and Shri A. Sawibunga, President, MBDPF.
Government of India will provide financial assistance for rehabilitation of Brus in Mizoram and address their issues of security, education, livelihood etc. in consultation with Governments of Mizoram and Tripura.
A Committee under Special Secretary (Internal Security) will coordinate the implementation of this agreement. The main elements of the rehabilitation package in the repatriation would be as follows:
- Each family will be given on time Financial Assistance for Rehabilitation of Rupees 4 Lakh (Rupees Fourt Lakh only) to be kept in Fixed Deposit in the name of the head of the family within one month of its repatriation. The money will remain in Fixed Deposit for Two years and the money will be given to the family on its having lived continuously in Mizoram for three years.
- Each family will be given Rupees 5,000/- (Rupees Five Thousand only) per month as Cash Assistance for a period of Two years from the date of repatriation.
- The cash assistance will be provided through DBT.
- Each family will be given Rupees One Lakh and Fifty Thousand for House Building Assistance. This will be disbursed in three instalments. Rs. 25,000 at the time of repatriation, Rs. 50,000 on completion of 50% of House Construction and the remaining Rs. 75,000 on the completion of House.
- Each person repatriating will be given Free Ration for two years at the present rate applicable.
- Each family will get Free Transportation to be arranged by Government of Mizoram. The agreed cost of transportation will be reimbursed to Mizoram government by MHA.