The greatness of Ayurvedic medicines or Kitchen remedies is that they will work on your immune system and build up the body to fight against virus attack and it is the safest, economic and natural way of self-healing.
– Dr. Akhilesh Sharma
According to the WHO, the novel coronavirus has to be symptomatically managed for severe acute respiratory infection when MERS-CoV infection is suspected. Especially adults, hospitalized patients, and children, in general, would need the utmost care among patients with a severe acute respiratory infection (SARI) when a nCoV infection is suspected. In symptomatic management and preventive care aspect, Ayurveda can play a key role in many ways.
First of all, we need to learn that we don’t want to spread rumors and create a panic among masses by spreading fake news or rumors about the mass epidemic situation. With changing weather at this time of the year when it is cold and windy in certain parts of India, common respiratory allergies and cough and cold is happening at the present moment which we need to realize and do our best remedies treatment including time tested Ayurvedic formulations to rule out between everyday-life respiratory allergies and Corona Virus related conditions.
The greatness of Ayurvedic medicines or Kitchen remedies is that they will work on your immune system and build up the body to fight against virus attack and it is the safest, economic and natural way of self-healing. It can be easily spread among masses from rich to poor class all over the country and that too from the kitchen shelf. To name a few, some of these recipes are:
Giloy (size on one Bhindi) + Tulsi (6 leaves) + Ginger (1/2 tsp.) + Kali Mirch (4-6 seeds)
– Crush them all together
– Grind them and make herbal tea out of it, mixing it with honey and drinking it. Giloy is a plant commonly available and can be grown in plantations at home. It can control cough, fever and support immunity. Ginger and black pepper act like natural antibiotics, antiviral and also break the phlegm and congestion and clear off the lungs.
Chyawanprash: 1 Tsp, twice a day
– It is a great source of Vitamin C and provides great immunity to lungs. It would be an ideal remedy for increasing lung capacity and immunity and help to prevent respiratory distress.
Using protocols for drying up mucous disrupts bacterial and viral capsids, liver protectors, lung cleaners that will clean out mucus from capillaries and alveoli of lung fiber would be a good strategy. Licorice infusion Guduchi Arishtam Trikatu Churna, (Pippali, Kaali Mirch, Shunthi) and real Saindhava Lavan salt are good options to use.
If we take 5 grams of Trikatu Churna and add 3-5 leaves of Tulsi, grind them well and mix with 1 liter of water, boil them together till it remains half and then drink it in small portions the whole day, it could be a very good remedy for decongesting the lungs.
Salted water is also one of the safest options to break up mucus, but we have to be careful in using it for people suffering from high blood pressure.
Several Ras Aushadhis
– Agasthya Haritaki Rasayan, Tribhuvan Kirti Ras (for fever and body ache) can also be used for cough, cold, running nose and bronchodilation.
– Laxmi Vilas Ras is another option for increasing immunity and running nose and Vasa Valeha paste can be used for Asthmatic patients,
– Chitrak Haritaki Avaleh can also be used for prevention, treatment in acute emergency conditions.
– To keep the nasal passage clear, we can use Nasya treatment which means using oil as nasal drops. 4-6 drops of mustard oil can be used for nasal decongestion and prevention of bacteria and viruses from entering through nasopharynx.
– You can also make a homemade recipe combining 50 mL of sesame oil with half tsp. Of turmeric (Haldi) and gently heat them together and dissolve. Put it in small bottles and use as nasal drops – 4 drops twice a day in each nostril on an empty stomach would be the best remedy for nasal decongestion, preventing allergies and protecting you from running nose.
Another home-made remedy from a Unani Hakim which is time tested is 2 pieces of cloves + 1 Elaichi + 1 Tikki of Karpoor + 1 flower of Javitri. Wrap them all together in a small piece of cloth and keep it in your pocket. Its smell will ward off bacteria and pathogens and keep the environment around you pathogen-free.
But one has to be careful in the usage of Ras Aushadhis under the careful supervision of qualified and experienced Ayurvedic Physician although kitchen remedies can be safely used by the common man.